Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Stovetop wild rice and bulgar wheat

I found a recipe online for a stovetop grain meal and I modified it some.  I am nearly 100% certain it was from Better Homes and Gardens.

But, I was most excited because I wanted to cook bulgar wheat.  I just like saying the word "bulgar" and I had no idea what the wheat actually was.

From the awesome wikipedia I gathered:

"1 cup of dry bulgur contains approximately:[3]
  • Energy: 2003 kJ (479 kcal)
  • Dietary fiber: 25.6 g
  • Protein: 17.21 g
  • Carbohydrate: 69 g whereof 0.8 g sugars
  • Fat: 1.86 g whereof 0.2 g saturated fat
  • Potassium: 574 mg
  • Iron: 3.44 mg
  • Glycemic Index: 46[4]"
That's a lot of protein for a little grain!  It does look a bit like the corn-based kitty litter we use (yuck) but has a great taste.  Kind of nutty and chewy.

Here is what we made with it, excuse the photos, my camera is out of commission (boo!) so these are all from my iphone.  Which is really hard to use when you are also holding a kid who wants to THROW MUSHROOMS ON DINNER.  Really, it was pretty exciting throwing those mushrooms with "little rocks" into the big pot.

Recipe Parts:

1.  Cut up an onion and cook it in 1T or so olive oil until it gets that sweet onion smell and starts to sweat and look clear.

2.  Then dump that onion, 1 cup of apple juice and 2 cups of stock (I used vegetable stock) into a big pot with a half cup of rinsed wild rice.

3.  Bring those things to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.  Pronounce "simmer" like "simmah" for full effect.

4.  Once that' all simmered out, add a few cups of chopped mushrooms and a half cup of bulgar wheat and keep it simmering for another 10 minutes or so.

                                               

5. Pull it off the heat and add a chopped red pepper and some parsley.  Once it's cooled top with feta cheese.

                                             

My husband thinks a chicken breast would have been good with it.  I found that I felt pretty full after just having that bowl.  Next time I will definitely be doubling the recipe.

-Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment