Monday, February 28, 2011

Anything but a face...

The challenge at this week is "anything but a face"!

My favorite is one I took back in January:

head over to iheartfaces to see more!

Monday, February 21, 2011

iheartfaces, phone photo

I am super excited to see do a challenge entirely with cameraphones.
About 80% of my personal pictures are taken with my iPhone.  Seriously.  I also like to only edit them using photoshop express, a free app .

The reason I love phone photos is because they really are like shooting from the hip in a moment that you don't want to lose track of.  I use my phone to take pictures of my son doing crazy things or some beautiful field on the way to work... or anything really!

Here's H playing superman with his dad yesterday:

Go on over to to see some more great photos!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Mary!!

Mary recently celebrated her second birthday. A perfect excuse for a project! For her gift, I bought a few items and made a few as well. Unfortunately, the sizing did not work out too well. I was super excited to get her these Tom's Shoes that my sister had been eyeing for a while but was unable to find at any stores (and sold out online). My sister loved them... Until she tried to put them on the next day and they were so narrow that they would not even go on Mary's feet! Odd though because all the reviews that I read online said that they fit great. I guess maybe Mary has wide feet. The good news is that they were able to exchange the shoes for a larger size that fit just fine.

Now, on to the handmade items... I used two different tutorials from Dana over at Made. First I wanted to try an up-cycled shirt dress. Unfortunately, my husband did not have any dress shirts that he needed to get rid of, so I went to the Goodwill instead. I bought two great shirts, and set the other one aside for a future dress. The shirts each cost $3.99, and then I bought a quarter yard of blue fabric for the waistband for $.49 at my local fabric store. I used my pattern from the 90-minute shirt that I made her a while ago to estimate the size. The dress itself came out the perfect size. I changed the pattern for the dress a little bit by giving it long sleeves. The sleeves turned out a little bit too tight though. I could barely get her arms into them. Luckily, That was a pretty easy fix too. There is one extra seam on the underside of the sleeve, but no big deal.



To go with the dress I made these ruched leggings (also from Made). They were really easy! I just love the buttons on the bottom. I only used three buttons because these are much smaller than the pair that Dana made.


The funny thing is that now if you ask her who made her anything in the house her reply is always "Aunt Laura."

It is hard to believe that this day was 2 years ago already. . .



And today we make a pretty cute niece aunt pair!